Goals and outcomes
The objective of the BME program at BUET is to produce world-class biomedical engineers who will use their knowledge of mathematics, science, biology, medicine and engineering to solve real-world problems. Our undergraduate students will be able to perform cutting-edge research within Bangladesh and abroad, and also develop innovative technologies to improve the quality of healthcare for the general people. Our vision is to develop well-equipped laboratories for the most up-to-date educational experience. In addition, special emphasis will be placed on research in the final year of undergraduate studies and also in the post-graduate program.
With a core foundation in maths, science, biology, medicine, and engineering, the BME graduates of BUET will apply their skills in different challenging problems in their chosen domains. Our graduates will be innovative, adaptable, and critical thinkers, and be able to solve problems in the fields of medical diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, biotech industries, and perform research and development.
Our students will be able to perform cutting-edge research within Bangladesh and abroad, and also develop innovative technologies to improve the quality of healthcare for the general people.
Our students will also demonstrate strong leadership, and will be trained to be socially and ethically responsible. They will operate effectively in multidisciplinary environments, as team members or individuals, and communicate well in both oral and written form. Finally, they will realize the value of continuous learning and self-improvement and thus keep growing in their knowledge throughout their careers.
The graduates of the BME program at BUET will be able to:
- apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering and biology in the real world
- demonstrate a solid understanding of biology, human anatomy, and physiology
- design and conduct experiments and analyze the results
- make measurements on and interpret data from living systems
- perform various biomedical simulations and system design
- develop a deep insight into the interaction between living and non-living materials and systems
- design systems, various components of a system, and processes that provide the desired result within certain pre-defined constraints
- function and operate in multi-disciplinary teams
- identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- act with professionalism and ethical responsibility
- communicate effectively, both verbally and in written form
- understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- understand and appreciate the need for lifelong learning
- display an understanding of contemporary issues