Biomedical engineering is a newly started department of BUET. The first batch of students has started their classes from February 2016. As an interdisciplinary program, the field of biomedical engineering is constantly evolving and developing, even in the developed world. The aim of the BME department is to train students who will develop and advance engineering technology to improve human health. The department of BME emphasizes on education and research through an effective collaboration among the disciplines of engineering, biology, and medicine. The department envisions developing and nurturing a world-class undergraduate and postgraduate program, and conducting cutting-edge research in diverse areas of BME.
Vision of the Department
Become a leading department for producing world-class biomedical engineers, and performing research and innovation to improve human health and well-being.
Mission of the Department
- Prepare the next generation of Biomedical Engineers to become leaders in their respective careers maintaining the highest level of professional and social ethics.
- Perform cutting-edge research aiming to advance the frontier of human knowledge in biomedical engineering.
- Develop innovative and impactful healthcare solutions in scale to address global health challenges and achieve relevant sustainable development goals (SDG)
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1- Be sufficiently skilled to pursue a diverse range of careers, including engineering, research and entrepreneurship.
- PEO2- Will persistently advance in their respected professional careers through continuous and life-long learning.
- PEO3- Design, develop, disseminate Biomedical Engineeringsolutions through research, innovation and application to meet specific healthcare needs of the society with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, environmental, and economic factors.
- PEO4- Practice and uphold high ethical and professional standards, and make informed judgments as a leader and/or member of their team, organizations and communities.
BME disciplines at a glance
The figures below summarize the various sub-disciplines within the Biomedical Engineering field.