- PhD (2011), National University of Singapore
- BSc in ME (2006), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Implantable medical device, Tissue Engineering, Biomanufacturing, Additive Manufacturing/3D printing, Spinning, Non-woven technology, wound dressing, Biomechanics, Clinical engineering.
Professor – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) – 2021-present
Associate Professor – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) – 2019-2021
Assistant Professor – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) – 2016-2019
Research Fellow – University of Leeds, UK – 2014-2016
Senior Engineer – Micron Technology Inc., Singapore – 2011-2014
Lecturer – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) – 2006.
Biomedical materials, Materials letter, Journal of polymers and environment, IEEE Access, Histology and histopathology, Journal of rapid prototyping, Composite structures, Dyes and Pigments.
- F Muhib, MD Islam, MT Arafat. A study on the computational hemodynamic and mechanical parameters for understanding intracranial aneurysms of patients with hypertension and atrial fibrillation. Informatics in Medicine Unlocked, (2022) 101031.
- F Islam, SY Wong, X Li, MT Arafat. Pectin and mucin modified cellulose-based superabsorbent hydrogel for controlled curcumin release. Cellulose 29 (9) (2022), 5207-5222.
- S Majumder, MMH Sagor, MT Arafat. Functional Electrospun Polymeric Materials for Bioelectronic Devices: A Review. Materials Advances, (2022).
- TH Aneem, SY Wong, H Afrin, M Nurunnabi, X Li, MT Arafat. Investigation of coagulation process of wet-spun sodium alginate polymannuronate fibers with varied functionality using organic coagulants and cross-linkers. Materials Today Chemistry 22, (2021) 100580.
- T Hossain, N Anan, MT Arafat. The effects of plaque morphological characteristics on the post-stenotic flow in left main coronary artery bifurcation. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 7 (2021) 065001.
- SI Swapnil, N Datta, MM Mahmud, RA Jahan, MT Arafat. Morphology, mechanical, and physical properties of wet‐spun cellulose acetate fiber in different solvent‐coagulant systems and in‐situ crosslinked environment. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 138, 18 (2021), 50358.
- MT Arafat, MM Mahmud, SY Wong, X Li. PVA/PAA based electrospun nanofibers with pH-responsive color change using bromothymol blue and on-demand ciprofloxacin release properties. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 61 (2021), 102297.
- Mehnaz Urbee Jahangira, Farhana Islama, Siew Yee Wongb, Rumana A Jahanc, Md Abdul Matin, Xu Li, M Tarik Arafat. Comparative analysis and antibacterial properties of thermally sintered apatites with varied processing conditions. Journal of American Ceramic Society 104 (2021), 1023-1039.
- S Majumder, MA Matin, A Sharif, MT Arafat. Electrospinning of antibacterial cellulose acetate/polyethylene glycol fiber with in situ reduced silver particles. Journal of Polymer Research 27 (12) (2020), 1-13.
- MF Rabbi, FS Laboni, MT Arafat. Computational analysis of the coronary artery hemodynamics with different anatomical variations. Informatics in Medicine Unlocked, 19 (2020) 100314.
- Md Musavvir Mahmud, Sumaiya Zaman, Asma Perveen, Rumana A. Jahan, Md Fakhrul Islam, M. Tarik Arafat. Controlled release of curcumin from electrospun fiber mats with antibacterial activity. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 55 (2020) 101386
- M Tarik Arafat, Giuseppe Tronci, David J Wood, Stephen J Russell. In-situ crosslinked wet spun collagen triple helices with nanoscale-regulated ciprofloxacin release capability. Materials Letters, 255 (2019) 126550.
- Taufiq Hasan Aneem, Sushanto Kumar Saha, Rumana A Jahan, Siew Yee Wong, Xu Li, M Tarik Arafat. Effects of organic modifiers and temperature on the synthesis of biomimetic carbonated Hydroxyapatite. Ceramics International, 45 (2019) 24717–24726.
- Susmita Majumder, Md Abdul Matin, Ahmed Sharif, M Tarik Arafat. Understanding solubility, spinnability and electrospinning behaviour of cellulose acetate using different solvent systems. Bulletin of Materials Science, 42 (2019) 171.
- MM Mahmud, A Perveen, RA Jahan, MA Matin, SY Wong, X Li, MT Arafat (2019). “Preparation of different polymorphs of cellulose from different acid hydrolysis medium”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules130 (1), 969-976.
- MM Mahmud, A Perveen, MA Matin, MT Arafat (2018). “Effects of binary solvent mixtures on the electrospinning behavior of poly (vinyl alcohol)”, Materials Research Express 5 (11), 115407
- MT Arafat, G Tronci, J Yin, DJ Wood, SJ Russell (2015): ” Biomimetic wet-stable fibres via wet spinning and diacid-based crosslinking of collagen triple helices”, Polymer 77, 102-112
- G Tronci, RS Kanuparti, MT Arafat, J Yin, DJ Wood, SJ Russell (2015). “Wet-spinnability and crosslinked fibre properties of two collagen polypeptides with varied molecular weight”, International journal of biological macromolecules 81, 112-120.
- A Berner, MA Woodruff, CXF Lam, MT Arafat, al.(2014) . “Effects of scaffold architecture on cranial bone healing”. International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery 43 (4), 506-513.
- MT Arafat, I Gibson, X Li ,(2014): ” State of the art and future direction of additive manufactured scaffolds-based bone tissue engineering”, Rapid Prototyping Journal 20 (1), 13-26.
- MT Arafat, CXF Lam, AK Ekaputra, SY Wong, X Li, I Gibson, (2011). “Biomimetic composite coating on rapid prototyped scaffolds for bone tissue engineering”. Acta Biomaterialia 7 (2), 809-820.
- MT Arafat, Christopher XF Lam, Andrew K Ekaputra, Siew Yee Wong, Chaobin He, Dietmar W Hutmacher, Xu Li, Ian Gibson. “High performance additive manufactured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering application”. Soft Matter 7 (18), 8013-8022.
- JT Maisha, F Nawer, MU Jahangir, MT Arafat. Light-emitting fabrics for photodynamic therapy. Book name: Medical Textiles from Natural Resources. Elsevier. 2022, 499-528
- SNB Akram, MU Jahangir, MIH Mondal, MT Arafat. Biotextiles for medical implants and regenerative medicine. Book name: Medical Textiles from Natural Resources, Elsevier. 2022, 169-211.
- Md Wahidur Rahman, M Tarik Arafat. Gellan and Xanthan based nanocomposites for tissue engineering. Book name: Polysaccharide based nanocomposites for tissue engineering. Elsevier. 2021, Pages 155-190
- Shams Nafisa Ali, M Tarik Arafat. Cellulose Based Biocomposites. Book name: Biocomposite for Biomedical Engineering: Design, Properties and Application. Elsevier. 2021, Pages 135-195.
- Imana Shahrin Tania, Mohammad Ali, M Tarik Arafat. Processing techniques of antimicrobial textiles. Book name: Antimicrobial Textiles from Natural and Renewable Materials. Elsevier. 2021, 189-215
- M. Tarik Arafat, Li Xu. Functional Coatings for Bone Tissue Engineering. Book name: Research Perspectives on Functional Micro-and Nanoscale Coatings. IGI Global publication, 2016, 240-264.
Key note and Invited talk
- MT Arafat et al. Sodium alginate nanocarriers for ophthalmic drug delivery. ICGNB 2022, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- MT Arafat et al. Nanofibrous Matrix and Nanoparticle Based Approaches as Drug Delivery Systems. Nanotechnology and Innovations for 4IR in Asia-Pacific and Beyond 2021, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- MT Arafat et al. Electrospinning for controlled drug delivery. Icstb 2021 BCSIR, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- MT Arafat et al. Understanding the electrospinnability of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and controlled release of curcumin through the electrospun mat. 6th International Fiber and Polymer Research Symposium, 2020. Istanbul, Turkey.