- PhD, The University of Texas at Dallas, USA
- MSc (EEE), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh
- BSc (EEE), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh
Biomedical signal and image processing, machine learning for health, medical imaging informatics, wearable and mHealth systems, low-cost medical devices. Dr. Hasan leads the mHealth Research Group.
Associate Professor – Department of BME, BUET (Dhaka, Bangladesh) – Nov 2019 – present
Visiting Scholar – Technology Innovation Center (TIC), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA. – October 2019
Assistant Professor – Department of BME, BUET (Dhaka, Bangladesh) – May 2016 – Nov 2019
Research Scientist – Robert Bosch RTC (Silicon Valley, CA, USA.) – Jan 2014 – May 2016
Research Assistant – The University of Texas at Dallas (USA) – Jul 2008 – Dec 2013
- Taufiq Hasan, Shabnam Ghaffarzadegan, Zhe Feng, “System and Method for Monitoring Dietary Activity” (U.S. Patent Application No. 16/284,309, 2019).
- Shabnam Ghaffarzadegan, Zhe Feng, Ahmed Imtiaz Humayun, Taufiq Hasan, “Method and System for Detecting Abnormal Heart Sounds” (Pending US Patent Application, Provisional 62/680404 filed on June 4, 2018).
- Taufiq Hasan, “Speech Enhancement and Audio Event Detection for an Environment with Non-Stationary Noise”, United States Patent Application # 15586876, Nov 2017.
- Fuliang Weng, Taufiq Hasan, Zhe Feng, “Speaker Verification in a Health Monitoring System”, United States Patent Application # 13340213, July 2013
- Uday Kamal, Mohammad Zunaed, Nusrat Binta Nizam, Taufiq Hasan, “Anatomy-XNet: An Anatomy Aware Convolutional Neural Network for Thoracic Disease Classification in Chest X-rays”, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (2022) (accepted).
- Nusrat Binta Nizam, Shoyad Ibn Sabur Khan Nuhash, and Taufiq Hasan, “Hilbert-Envelope Features for Cardiac Disease Classification from Noisy Phonocardiograms”. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 78 (2022)
- Samiul Based Shuvo, Shams Nafisa Ali, Soham Irtiza Swapnil, Taufiq Hasan, and Mohammed Imamul Hassan Bhuiyan (2020): “A lightweight CNN model for detecting respiratory diseases from lung auscultation sounds using EMD-CWT-based hybrid scalogram” IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Ahmed Imtiaz Humayun, Md. Tauhiduzzaman Khan, Shabnam Ghaffarzadegan, Zhe Feng and Taufiq Hasan (2018): “An Ensemble of Transfer, Semi-supervised and Supervised Learning Methods for Pathological Heart Sound Classification”, Interspeech 2018, Hyderabad, India.
- Ahmed Imtiaz Humayun, Shabnam Ghaffarzadegan, Zhe Feng and Taufiq Hasan (2018): “Learning Front-end Filter-bank Parameters using Convolutional Neural Networks for Abnormal Heart Sound Detection” Proc. EMBC 2018, Hawaii, USA.
- John H. L. Hansen and Taufiq Hasan (2015): “Speaker Recognition by Machines and Humans: A tutorial review”, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, October 2015. [pdf]
- Taufiq Hasan and John H. L. Hansen (2014): “Maximum-Likelihood Acoustic Factor Analysis for Robust Speaker Verification in Noise”, IEEE Trans. on Audio Speech and Lang. Process., February 2014. [pdf]
- Taufiq Hasan Hynek Boril, Abhijeet Sangwan, John H. L. Hansen (2013): “Multi-modal highlight generation for sports videos using an information-theoretic excitability measure,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, November 2013. [pdf]
- Taufiq Hasan and John H. L. Hansen (2012): “Acoustic Factor Analysis for Robust Speaker Verification,” IEEE Trans. Audio Speech and Lang. Process., vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 842-853, April 2013. [pdf]
- Winner – Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Medtronic Student Design Competition: “OxyJet: A low-cost electricity-free CPAP for ICU Prevention of COVID-19 Patients” (2021)
- Global Winner of IMAGINE IF! – Innovation Forum (UK) for “OxyJet” (2021).
- 1st – IEEE Young Professionals Idea Contest: “To Mitigate Post-COVID Impact in Low- and Middle- Income Countries” (2020).
- 1st – IEEE Video and Image Processing Cup on “Real-time vehicle detection and tracking at junctions using a fisheye camera” (2020).
- 1st Runner-up – “ACT Covid-19: National Call” hackathon organized by the ministry of ICT (2020).
- 3rd – “Design For Life” ventilator design challenge organized by EDGE foundation (2020).
- Winner – MIT Solve Tiger Challenge 2019 in partnership with Sonavi Labs (Baltimore, MD, USA) (2019).
- 3rd – IEEE Video and Image Processing Cup on “Activity Recognition from Body Cameras” (2019).
2nd best presenter – Bangladesh Cardiac Society Conference (2019).
- ISCA Young Scientist Travel Grant to attend Interspeech 2017, Stockholm, Sweden (2017).
- NVIDIA GPU Grant by NVIDIA corporation (2017).
- IBM Research Spoken Language Technology Student Grant (ICASSP 2013, Vancouver, CN)
- Awarded BUET Alumni donations of Tk. 13,75,000/- for the development of OxyJet non-invasive ventilator devices (2021).
- Awarded $5000 promotional credits from the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Diagnostic Development Initiative (DDI) for radiological image analysis of Covid-19 patients (2020).
- Awarded pre-seed funding of Tk. 10,00,000/- from the iDEA/StartupBangladesh for “OxyJet: A low-cost helmet based non-invasive ventilator for COVID-19 patients” (2020).
- Awarded Tk. 10,00,000/- research grant from the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Division to develop an AI-Based teleradiology platform (2020).
- Awarded Tk. 200,000/- research grant from the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh on the project entitled “Automatic detection of pathologic cardiac conditions from Phonocardiogram (PCG) signals using multi-band deep convolutional neural networks” (2017).
- Awarded Tk. 800,000/- research grant from the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of Bangladesh to develop a Mobile Health (mHealth) Research Lab (2017).
- The Daily Star (front-page) “A breath of fresh air in Covid crisis: Buet researchers develop low-cost portable device to provide Oxygen to critical coronavirus patients” [link]
- The Daily Observer (front-page) “BUET launches clinical trials of ‘OxyJet’: This non-electric and low-cost ventilator to meet oxygen need of corona patients”, May 12, 2021 [link]
- BBC News (Bangla), “Oxygen: How BUET-made ‘OxyJet’ will benefit Coronavirus Patients”, May 4, 2021 [link]
- Helmet Based Ventilation, “OxyJet CPAP – Simple Design and Low-Cost System for Non-Invasive Ventilation”, Oct 2020, Chicago, IL, USA. [link]
- UT Dallas News Center, “Researchers Developing New Systems to Improve Voice Recognition”, UTD home page, 2013. [link]
- Touch Display Research (blog), “AWE 2015 augmented reality, gesture and voice control market”, June 2015. [link]
- Taufiq Hasan, “OxyJet – Design and development of a low-cost non-invasive ventilator for hypoxemic Covid-19 patients”, Center for Bioengineering Innovation and Design (CBID), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (October, 2022). [link]
- Taufiq Hasan, “Deep Learning Applications in Healthcare: Recent works in BME, BUET”, Technology Innovation Center (TIC), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (2019).
- Taufiq Hasan, “Acoustic Factor Analysis for Robust Speaker Verification”, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, April 2013. [link]